Friday, April 24, 2009

Scout Court of Honor




Last night dad received an district scout award for his service as a Scout master. It was really neat for him to be recognized in this way - he sure deserved it. He has been involved with scouting for 30 years now and has had a influence for good on more young men then I could possibly count. But last night after he received his award he paid special recognition to me and I thought I would like to share it with everyone. I cried all the way through it. I have married a great man and one that I love dearly. Here is his comments:

We all know the role parents, especially moms play in helping these young men achieve their goals and advance in scouting. Thats why a mothers pin is awarded at each rank advancement. It is a way to say thank you and to recognize their efforts in the success of their boys. Tonight I would like to thank someone who has helped to make me a success as a scout master. Someone I have depended on countless times, someone that has sacrificed for many of your boys over the years. That is my wife Gayelene. Whenever I have needed her to help with an activity, a campout, a court of honor or when I get discouraged with the way things are going or to help me to figure out the needs of your boys she has been there over these decades. She has listened and help me to prepare countless lessons for mutual and priesthood meetings. She has gone with me on several summer camps to cook for the boys, or gone grocery shoping, or prepared food for camp and packing before the camp, or clean up after the camp. She has driven hundreds of miles to bring me parts for my vehicle when we were broken down and stranded, she has run to the scout office for patches and tour permits or help to drive the boys around for activities. She has made flyers and calenders for parents. On many occasions she has been our photographer, then later made posters for our bulletin board. She has set up tables or donated her kitchen table for scout projects. She has sacrificed vacations for summer camps or outings. I counted up over 400 nights, she as sent me off over night and was left at home to sleep alone, many times for a week at a time, sometimes without a vehicle, so the souts could go on these outings. She has waited patiently for her distracted husband to finish the endless hours it takes to run a troop, or talk to a boy or work out a project. Every week she has to eat alone on mutual night and then warm my dinner, late at night after our activities. Many times she has been the other half of two deep leadership, so the boys could even have an activity or meeting. She has sustained me, helped me, counseled me and worked with me. Yet she has never had a son in a scout program to be proud of, or received an award, a pin, a patch, or recognition of any kind for her many efforts. I would like to take this time to honor her and say thank you, I only wish there was a badge of honor I could hang around your neck for her 30 years of devotion to scouting, the young men that have passed through our home and hearts, but mostly for what she has done for me. If I have been successful in scouting at all, I owe a great deal of that success to my wife Gayelene

No comments:

Post a Comment